Monday 5 June 2017

And It's Awa' to the Grouse...

It's been awhile (as usual) since my last conf-, er, post, partly because I haven't had a lot to say, partly because of reasons, etc., but that's apparently how I roll. Dog.
But I finally decided to take some time off from my civilian job, and go and visit another strange and exotic place I've never before seen - Edinburgh, Scotland.
Scotland is a country I know little about outside of what I've learned from popular culture - however after many centuries I'm certain its inhabitants no longer paint themselves blue before battle (except perhaps during rugby season).
A land of whisky and of haggis; where bonny Morag frolics amidst the heather in the misty blue hills of Tyree to the skirl of the bagpipes (sorry, got a bit carried away there)...
Of course it's nothing of the kind,* as I intend to prove tomorrow when I explore in earnest.
The city is cold; the 'Realfeel' temperature published by AccuWeather suggests that it's 10 degrees (C) lower than the true local temperature. I'm not a meteorologist, but I suspect that it has a lot to do with the city's altitude (it's built on more hills than Rome) coupled with its proximity to the Firth of Forth, which opens into the North Sea (if that sounds reasonable, then job done. If not, I refer you to my earlier disclaimer).
In the meantime, I intend to enjoy the complimentary champagne (!) provided by my hotel while watching '8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown'.
And on we go...

*I have it on good authority that Tyree is flat.

No comments:

A New Chapter...

 In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dr. McCoy describes himself as having been, "...for the past 27 years, Chief Medical Office...